6.07.2007

Kemialliset Ystävät


The first time I heard Kemialliset Ystävät, I was a bit thrown off. I had discovered them through lablemate Islaja, and as taken as I was with her brand of dissonant folk I just couldn't find the beauty in the noise on Alkuhärkä. I enjoy it when others find the wonder in the way abject sounds can be recontextualized into a composition format without really touching on what would be termed music, but someting in their delivery gave rise to comparisons of kids in a temper tantrum. However, I gave their latest self titled album a listen, mostly (and I probably should be embarrassed at my reasoning) because I liked their departure from hand drawn scraggly cover art, replacing it with a beautifully serene photograph. Well the album isn't quite as serene as that picture would lead one to believe but I was happy to see that structure had somewhat invaded their songs. They seemed to get away from the angry child phase and progress into rhythmic fits and forest narratives that feel more ceremonial but still with that playful sense they've always had. It can be a rough ride from start to finish but their are some very bright moments along the way indeed.

Download:
[MP3] Kemialliset Ystävät -Superhimmeli
[MP3] Kemialliset Ystävät -Himmeli Kutsuu Minua
Bookmark and Share
posted by dissensous at 10:24:00 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I haven't listened to Kemialliset too much on record, but I fell in love with their live perfomrnace after seeing them at last year's Terrastock. The music was strange and otherwordly, but with heart and a great sense of humor.

I found your site via Hype. I've added it to my blogroll!

Best,
Andrea
warpedrealitymagazine.com

3:17 PM  
Blogger Acceptance of Terms of Service said...

Dang. This is so good.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home